1 each (241 g/8.5 oz)
Featured Maple Leaf Product: Bacon Bits, 1/2 diced, Ready to Eat (#13513)
|Soft margarine||150 mL||2/3 cup|
|Frozen apple slices||720 g||1 lb 9.4 oz|
|Brown sugar||150 g||5.3 oz|
|Thick slice white bread, cubed||4.75 L||20 cups|
|Bacon bits, 1/2 " diced||420 g||14.8 oz|
|Cheddar cheese, grated||260 g||9.2 oz|
|Liquid whole egg||800 mL||3 1/3 cup|
|2% milk||1.75 L||7 1/3 cup|
|Ground cinnamon||10 mL||2 tsp|
|Maple syrup||750 mL||3 cups|
- The night before or 4 hours before, assemble recipe and place it in the refrigerator and hold it at <40'F/4'C.
- In a large skillet, heat margarine over medium heat. Add frozen apple slices and cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes or until crisp tender. Reduce heat to medium-low; stir in brown sugar. Cook uncovered for 8-10 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring occasionally. Cool completely.
- Grease a 2" deep insert pan for 24 servings with cooking spray. Cut bread into 1/2" cubes and spread half evenly in the prepared baking pan. Then layer half of each of the following: bread, bacon bits, cooked apples and cheese. Repeat layers.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and cinnamon. Pour evenly over the bread mixture. Cover with lid/plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight at <4'C/40'F.
- Remove the casserole from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking and allow it to rest at room temperature. Preheat the convection oven to 325'F/165'C. Remove the lid and place it in the oven. Bake uncovered for 45-55 minutes until puffed and golden and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Cook to an internal temperature of 165'F/74'C held for at least 15 seconds. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
- Heat table/maple syrup in a microwave until warm, stirring once. Cut full-size insert pan into 3.5" by 2.5" portions. At the point of service, serve 1 each and pour 1 oz/30 mls using a 1 oz ladle over each serving.
Serve with fresh cut fruit, pour maple syrup over top and dust with icing sugar (sides not included in nutritional information).
Nutritional Info per 1 each (241 g/8.5 oz)
|Calories from protein||13%|
|Total fat||17 g|
|Saturated fat||6 g|
|Trans fat||0 g|
|Vitamin A||175 RE|
|Vitamin C||31.54 mg|